May 23, 2012
Look I’ma give you a tip, never let anybody tell you what you can’t be, they told me I couldn’t, but I bet they told Obama he couldn’t be the President either ~Meek Mill (Taken from Dream Chasers 2 ‘On my way’).
Welcome to this week’s installment of Hip Hop weekly review with D.E.S. Thanks for stealing a minute of your time to catch up on this week’s news that have been making rounds in the Hip Hop world. G.O.O.D Music acquired the services of a female artist; Big K.R.I.T has revealed the track list for his Island Def Jam Records Debut; Jay-Z announces a big two day music festival having close to 30 acts to perform; Rick Ross lets go off the first single for his upcoming album, God forgives, I don’t; One quarter of Black Hippy literally dropped an album.
Kanye West’s Good Music has signed the 21 year old sensational singer Teyana Taylor. The Harlem singer is joining the likes of Big Sean, Pusha T, Q Tip, and John Legend. This comes after the singer released an EP titled ‘The misunderstanding of Teyana Taylor’, inspired by Lauryn Hill’s debut album. Seems like everybody is adding an R&B singer to their rooster considering that just two weeks back you were reading on this column that Maybach Music has added Omarion to their team. New trend, I wonder who’s next to follow the lead?
Big King Realized In Time (K.R.I.T) has revealed his debut album track list which will be released under Island Def. Jam Records. The project features Bun B, 2 Chainz, 8 Ball & MJG, BB King, Ludacris and Anthony Hamilton. I can’t wait to hear the record that features Anthony Hamilton, yall know how soulful Hamilton is. The title of the track that features the R&B veteran singer is ‘Porch light’.
D town’s Big Sean will be playing the Principal at Detroit’s Lincoln High School for a day. This is what we mean when we say ‘It’s bigger than Hip Hop’; this is motivation to anyone out there young or old to do best in whatever they decide to do. Hip Hop appreciates your efforts Sean.
Jay-Z has announced a two day music festival to be held in Philadelphia; the festival’s theme is ‘Made in America’. The event features close to 30 performers including Hov himself being one of the chief acts of the festival. The festival takes place on the 1st and 2nd September.
The number one stunna Aka Birdman has released a free song featuring Rozay on the hook. Yall know these two are all about the big five only, so it was only natural that the song is titled ‘Born Stunna’. You can never hear enough of Baby’s riches. New York rapper French Montana also dropped the remix to his ‘everything’s a go’ single. The remix features Fabulous, Wale, Birdman and Jadakiss.
Rick Ross released the first single of his upcoming album God forgives, I don’t featuring Usher. The track is titled ‘Touchin You’ (clean version) ‘F*ckin You’ (Dirty Version). The Maybach Music Mafia’s revealed the album cover and track list for Selfmade Vol. 2 via http://www.rozayraw.com/news/track-listing-revealed-self-made-2 the compilation features the following artists: Kendrick Lamar, Nas, Bun B, T.I, Ace Hood, Wiz Khalifa, Nipsey Hussle and Roscoe Dash. The Good Music compilation will be called ‘Cruel Summer’ and a film inspired by it will debut May 23 in Cannes.
Meek Mill posted a picture of him and Nasty Nas while they were in the lab cooking ‘Maybach Curtains’ for Meek Mill’s Dreams and Nightmares. Being in the Maybach clique pays well, who thought Meek Mill and Nas’ paths would ever cross. Nas has been riding in Maybach for quite some time, he over-shines so I aint complaining. And he is creating the necessary hype before he drops his most anticipated Life is Good LP which is to hit the shelves on July 17.
One quarter of Black Hippy (Ab. Soul) literally dropped an album without marketing it. It’s cool to be Hippy don’t you agree? The title of the album is ‘Control System’. The album features Kendrick Lamar; Jhene Aiko, Jay Rock and School boy Q. Black Bastard remix ft. Black Hippy is my current top knockout joint.
- 50 Cents pushed back his first Gangsta Grillz mixtape to May 22nd
- Jahlil beats revealed that Jay-z is working on few of his beats, I always wonder why Rick Ross did not sign the boy because he is Meek Mill’s producer and he was a free agent until 2011 late, one man’s loss is another’s gain
- Childish Gambino recruits Top Dawg’s Schoolboy Q for his latest series of free music. The cut is titled ‘unnecessary’.
- Slaughterhouse is recording the visuals for their hit single ‘my life’ featuring the Lady Killer, Ceelo Green
- DJ Khaled has finally let go off the visuals of his latest single ‘take it to the head’ Ft. Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Wayne
- Ryan Leslie reached out to his frequent collaborator Fabulous for the remix of ‘Beautiful Lie’
- Meek Mill has joined his label mate, Wale as he has signed with Roc Nation for a management deal
- J Cole and Kendrick Lamar are 5 records deep into their joint album
- DJ Drama reunited Drake and Future on ‘we in this b***h 1.5’. I never thought the two would be on the same b***h after Drake played a no show for Future’s Tony Montana music video shoot which Future saw as a slap in the face, thanks to Atlanta’s number 1 mixtape DJ there is ease between the two.